Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Where did the time go....

I am sitting here in my apartment in Madison and cannot believe a week ago I was still in Uganda. It feels like it was only a dream and I even question that all of these events on blog happened. Being back I felt like I awoke from a dream and can't fall back to sleep. I deeply miss Rwentutu and the students. I feel already as the small details of my journey fade from my memory and I am left to only what I have recorded here. Let me recap my days that led up to my return home.

My final week at Rwentutu was spent trying to finish main topics and projects I had ensured the students we would have time to. Last Monday we also got a flat tire and did not make our lessons and on Wednesday we stopped school early for an assembly... again eliminating another chance for me to teach my students. Although I know that is life and things happen and there is not time long enough to spend with those you care for. I think my recollections of my final days mostly revolves around my students developing a Lhukonzo Dictionary for me. Because we were spending so much time learning about dictionaries and the multiple times I had to ask for translations, that there was not enough Lhukonzo to English Dictionaries in the world... and I knew I could place my students as the experts for their language. Each made a letter of the dictionary. The words came from a word wall I posted the week before. I announced to the students that we were doing this project and told them when they think of a word that they think people who do not speak their native language should know, they should write it on the word wall. It became an impressive list. I was surprised that even with my student who spoke little English, he was able to develop one of the best pages for the dictionary, following my instructions and able to label the parts of speech on his own. This ensures me that when I have students who are fluent in another language, I want and need to incorporate their knowledge into the classroom. Although I know that this is a very basic way to use languages in the classroom... I am only just beginning teaching and I know that I will continue to learn and practice ways to incorporate languages into my classroom.  Here is the finished product.

Our Book!

As I said above we had an assembly on Wednesday. This was our last day at the school. This assembly is such a blur, because I cried during the majority of it. There was so much singing, hugging, dancing, and joy even in this goodbye that I tear up just thinking about it. The one moment I will never forget is that during one of the songs, a student from each of our classes walked up to us and sang a solo to us in front of the whole school. I just remember my face being covered by my hand and tears pouring out. I never have felt so glad I have known such amazing students in my entire life.... Just imagine a student coming up to you and kneel in front of you and say your name in a verse about saying goodbye. There is so much that could be said about this assembly, but I can not find words to express it.

Singing the goodbyes

The last look at my students... 

After the school idea, all that was left was a travel to home. Two days of Kampala led up to a day in Amsterdam and a long flight home to fine my family, best friend, and boyfriend. There is not much to say, but here is a few pictures of my journey.
Painter in Kampala 

Stop at a fancy hotel in Kampala before heading the airport.
With Samson and Enoch.

Visiting Amsterdam!

So that leads to today.... I am now going into my third day of student teaching in the states and I am numb to the fact it will never be Rwentutu or that just starting to read what I will teach is starting to become overwhelming in content and technology I need to readjust to using. I will never forget Rwentutu and my students here won't either. Today I was able to give all the students their letters from their pen pals. Excitement over threw the students' attention to morning meeting and many questions followed throughout the day about their pen pals. I hope to send the responses back to Rwentutu before the end of their term.
Proud Teachers of Rwentutu Christian School

One more blog will come over time, it will be my final project of my trip.... the current plan is a video with a voice over.....

No comments:

Post a Comment