Thursday, September 5, 2013

Buganda

Buganda... did you know that its original name? When Europeans came into the country they could not hear the "b" sound when it was pronounced due to its soft sound and largely the country has now been referred to as Uganda in its pronunciation.

So I do not mean to blog each day, but I want to be able to remember what I have learned and think I may as well share my learning with all of you. Today was all about learning about Uganda and its people/history. Yesterday we got a brief overview at the Museum but today we visited two sites of Uganda's Christian past. I have an article here that explains a few of the things I learned about the Christian history in Uganda. This article will better explain my pictures I have posted below.

Basilica Church of the Uganda Martyr... 
under the Alter is where 22 
of the Martyrs were burned alive

Another location of the Martyrs who
were burned alive for their belief in their Christian Faith 



The Tree stump under this tree was there when
 the Martyrs were tortured for 7 days causing a long and painful death

Although I do not practice any religion at this time in my life it is amazing to see the power of faith through the stories of these Martyrs. It is told that as they were burned alive, they sang hymns to the Lord and were saying they would be with Him soon. I was truly honored that we had the opportunity to go to this historic place and see first hand parts of the history (experiential learning.... look at that!). It will be interesting to learn about the education's role in teaching children about this event in history.

This day we also made a trip to the craft market! I have already pinpointed a few gifts I am going to get for family and friends when we return here in October for our flight home! One thing I would like to invest some money in is a few hand painted pictures of animals, the people, and parts of the culture. Each mural was so unique and I feel like I must bring one to remember my experience here in Uganda forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment