Saturday, September 7, 2013

Kasese

Today we started our second day in Kasese, the town in which we will be living until October 31st or better known as Halloween to all of you folks. Here is a few photos of our room. As you can see there is no shower room, but the entire toilet room acts as a place to shower. Another unique things that I have noticed about Uganda, is that in each place I am in the light switches are may not be in the room you are trying to light. At the guesthouse the lights were outside the doors of the shower room and toilet, here as well.

So we have done quite a few things in the past days that really have made the trip jam packed with tourist events. Let me tell you about a few more things that I thought were way more exciting than some of the locals, descriptions in the captions of each picture!

Copper Mining 

Small Children watching us from the field 

Goats are everywhere here!
They are like stray cats and dogs in the state!

Rwenzori Mountains










Along those trips there were so many children! Children in Uganda are so energetic and lively compared to any other children I have ever met. Even watching them from afar they seem to be enjoying life relaxing and entertaining selves. Although when you get close as a Mzungu, they start to smile, hide, wave, or say hello. It is quite strange to me to get so much attention from people when I am walking by or in a car, but even as we hiked the children who live in the Mountains starting waving to us for great heights away.  With this thought the girls who I am on the trip with are very outgoing, as for me I am not so much, so they tend to direct attention to the fact that we are in certain places. This is great for me to see the interactions of Mzungu with the native people but is kind of the opposing reason for wanting to come. I am really interested in culture and when we constantly have people looking at us or wanting our attention, I am not really seeing how the people here live when Mzungu are not around. I hope as the trip goes I come out of my shelf or the natives of Kasese start to recognize us and we direct a bit less attention.

Back to the tourist events, that hike was a big trek for me, being at quite a higher altitude I have not adjusted to well but allowed me to contemplate what each of child of the mountains is exposed to each day. The children who lived upon the mountains, I had wondered if they attended school or were able to socialize with many other Ugandans. Not only for them but I never really considered how geographical elements could limit children’s access to school and for those children they have to climb up and down the mountain each day if they go to school (the school was at the foot of the mountain).

We also took our first trip to the market to buy some food. It was hard to actually know what was going on. Juliet, a native who lives with us, came along and would buy all the stuff for us. As there were five of us trying to buy one thing, I didn’t really understand how things were purchased or bargained for. I hope to go back with only one or two other people to really get to try out purchasing things on my own.

I will write soon! Start in the school on Monday! Look for a post then J Also for those of you who would like to contact me I am usually online around 2-3pm or 10-11pm your time! So if you need to chat let me know when you will be there.

2 comments: